With the hot weather finally here for summer, it is important that you are of what dehydration is, symptoms of dehydration and how it can be treated. Dehydration is when your body has lost or is losing fluids faster than it is taking in fluids. Every time we sweat, breathe or urinate we are losing fluids – and if we are not replacing what we are losing, we will become dehydrated.
Symptoms of dehydration include;
- Increased thirst/dry mouth
- Dizziness/light headed
- Decreased urine/dark, discolored urine
If you are suffering from severe symptoms of dehydration such as then seek medical attention immediately;
- Fever of 104°
- Difficulty breathing
It is very easy to treat dehydration symptoms, what you must do is;
- Try and drink 2 quarts worth of fluids (water, sports drinks etc.)
- Suck on ice chips or a popsicle, sometimes drinking too much water too quickly can cause vomiting, increasing dehydration further.
- Relax, and monitor your symptoms. If symptoms do not improve or seem to worsen, call your doctor to seek medical treatment.
AFC Malden diagnoses and treats dehydration symptoms so stop by our walk in clinic, no appointment or referral necessary, Monday-Friday 8 am to 8 pm or Saturday & Sunday from 8 am to 5 pm.